Seven reasons to stay in a bed and breakfast:
1. Staying in a bed and breakfast means you actually meet and talk to locals, so you'll have a more in-depth experience. Many of them have lived in different places and then chosen to settle in their favourite spot in the world, or lived here for several generations. They all love their area, have great stories to tell and are full of local knowledge.
2. Many bed and breakfasts are in historic houses in beautiful locations - a great way to enjoy a special Dales experience.
3. You want to know the best pub, the best place to eat, the best walks? Ask a bed and breakfast owner - they've got all the insider knowledge and want to share it with you.
4. Almost all bed and breakfasts are independent businesses and family run. They are more likely to buy their supplies from a local business so every penny you spend stays within the local economy, benefitting many others through the multiplier effect. Many bed and breakfasts are run by farmers who need to diversify in order to survive economically. When you stay in a bed and breakfast you support local people. Bed and breakfast owners live in the area year round so you're helping keep villages alive.
5. Bed and breakfast owners don't make a fortune. Many don't do it for the money - they do it because they love it, and enjoy sharing their lovely home. They care deeply about their visitors and enjoy making them feel at home.
6. Many bed and breakfast owners really do go the extra mile to make sure their guests are happy and comfortable. Some offer delicious home-baked cakes and afternoon tea on arrival. Some offer evening meals and suppers. I know of some who will do guests' laundry (raising money for charity) and others who even clean guests walking boots!
7. If your idea of a bed and breakfast is a standard room with simple service and candlewick bedspreads, think again. An increasing number offer fluffy towels and robes, spa-style toiletries, and extravagant breakfast choices.